Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year from across the pond!

Happy New Year!  

We rang in the New Year at our favorite local pub, The Green Man.  It only seemed fitting as we spent our first NYE in England at this pub and now our last NYE here. The Green Man felt like home the second we walked in 3 1/2 years ago, everything about it we love from the sweet family that owns it to the comfy cozy atmosphere inside it's several hundred year old walls.






Today we stuck with our "Southern" tradition of eating black eyed peas for good luck in the coming year along with one of our new adopted English traditions of drinking a glass (er...two) of "Buck's Fizz."  I'm not rocket scientist (although I am often confused for one) but from what I can tell "Buck's Fizz" is a Mimosa. LOL Whatever you call it I for one like them!

Buck's vs. Mimosa


See for yourself...the recipes are very similar...



See what I mean? So no matter how you pour it, shake it or sip it...it all goes down with orange bubbly goodness.



I mixed things up this year...literally and made a Black Eyed Pea dip instead of the way we usually eat them.  I gotta say the dip was FAB and I will be making it again next year, I may even make it when it isn't NY's.

I know someone will want the recipe so here it is, I got it from  "The Pioneer Woman" and my best bud Kathy.

  • 1 can (14-ounce) Can Black-eyed Peas
  • 1/4 whole Onion, Chopped Fine
  • 1/4 cup Sour Cream
  • 8 slices Jarred Jalapenos
  • 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 3 Tablespoons Salsa
  •  Hot Sauce, to taste
  •  Salt And Black Pepper To Taste

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain black-eyed peas and partially mash, leaving some whole.
Add all other ingredients, stirring to combine.
Spread into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Serve with tortilla chips!
*Note: if you have them available, you can use the canned black-eyed peas and jalapenos (they're canned together.) If you do this, you can omit the extra jalapenos.


Enjoy and Happy New Year! 





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you really lived it up compared to here. I actually went to bed about 10:30pm because I could not stay up one more minute. Then woke up instantly when Bob lit off a bunch of firecrackers outside at midnight, Got back up and watched the tube until 2am....back to bed until 8:30am this morning. Real exciting, I know. The bean dip sounds wonderful....I will print out the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete